Thursday, January 11, 2007

resolution update

So I resolved a week ago to see more shows, starting with Treaty of Paris at the Metro last Saturday. It was tough sledding first time out of the gate. First the Clark Street bus left me hanging out on the curb for half on hour - okay this isn't that unusual, but it was still a hurdle. After jumping in a cab, we get to Metro, and one of the opening bands has a giant, inflatable, red ball on stage. As in 10 feet by 10 feet giant. I slide over to the bar to get a beer - not a difficult task because I was one of the few lucky ones at the show in the 21 and older category. The bartender, perhaps eager for a tip from one of the few non-soda buying patrons, was chatty enough to respond to questions regarding the big, red ball. Deadpan - "Oh I believe that's supposed to be... a cherry." Okay.

Then we secured a spot amongst the fans where I was touched, semi-inappropriately, by a 17 -year-old boy. You know how someone might put his hand on your back to navigate through a crowd, sometimes his hand may linger too way long between your shoulder blades, and sometimes your skin starts to crawl when you realize you're probably fifteen years older than him? So on to the music ... Treaty of Paris was fine, maybe just not my thing, a little too radio friendly for me. Turns out the band is going to be part of a reality show that started taping that night, maybe I'll get to see myself groped on tv someday.
The evening was saved when we moved on to Ronny's on California and saw the Fake Fictions and Blueblood. Cool space, nice crowd, and great music. Great place to see a band - maybe fits fifty or sixty people in a old garage space. Here's something from the Fake Fictions: Time Machine

No comments:

Archive